And just like that, it’s 2018!
I’ve been making a few changes in my life and focussing on my health and getting more in touch with my self (a.k.a my intuition, gut, soul, whatever you call it!). This meant the start to my 2018 has been really grounding and reflective.
Just before Christmas, I picked up Melissa Ambrosini’s ‘Mastering Your Mean Girl‘ book and devoured it in a couple of days. This then lead me to Melissa’s podcasts – largely about nourishing your body and soul – and then her ‘Manifest Your Dreams And Create An Epic 2018‘ blog post.
I found the post (more like a guide) to be a really powerful exercise to first reflect on how 2017 was for me – what was great, what wasn’t great – and then set my intentions for 2018.
I spent a few hours doing this and feel EXCITED about the year ahead and know what I want to achieve and how I want to be. 2017 for me was an uncomfortable year of uncertainty feeling torn between different business activities. I’ve committed in 2018 to listen to my gut and NOT ignore it (isn’t it always right??!!).
Here are a few of my goals for the year ahead (I’m feeling a little exposed right now so be kind!):
- Partner with brands that I love that will support getinmyhome.com to be its best
- To create content that resonates with my community (that’s you!) and helps them.
- Interview people who I love and inspire me.
- Bring in my other love to getinmyhome: wellness.
- Have more FUN with my partner by organising one activity things just for fun each week (cos 2017 looked a lot like: work, work, work for us).
- To match my partner’s income so I can contribute equally to the life we are building together.
- Work with a health professional to help me be the healthiest version of myself possible, particularly working on my gut health.
- Grow my own herbs / veggies and cook more intentionally with the most nutritious ingredients rather than being lazy with food.
I also started a morning meditation session December, going out onto our balcony and sitting for 10-20 minutes (however long I can each morning – I’m pretty terrible at just sitting but working on it!) letting my thoughts go where they want but not reaching for the phone/laptop when things come into my mind (which is my normal habit to start researching/doing!). It’s a really lovely way to start the day – birds chirping, fresh air and serenity!
I also bought an essential oil to wear as perfume – ‘Clary Calm’ by doTERRA, described as a ‘monthly blend for women’. I find this helps keep my mood and energy calm and positive. PLUS something I’ve been hearing so many other people credit for their happiness and success is writing down three things they are grateful for each morning… so this is a new addition to my daily routine.
The combination of these things has helped me feel calm, grounded and more in touch with myself. Perhaps they might help you too!
Now, here are a few of the activities from Melissa’s blog post that I found really helpful (and fun!) to set myself up for 2018 – so grab a notebook, some quiet space and give them a go!
- During the more challenging times during 2017, how did you show up? Are you happy with how you showed up or could you have shown up differently
- Did you step outside your comfort zone? If yes, when? How did that make you feel? What did you learn during the process?
- Did you love with your whole heart?
- Were you fully present? If no, why not? Where could you have been more present?
- Were you kind? Could you have been kinder?
- How much did you love? Could you have loved more?
- How did you serve overs?
- Where did any old limiting Mean Girl fears or beliefs pop up?
- What do you want to let go of? For example, an old limiting belief, a job, a person, a situation, a pattern, a painful memory, resentment, hurt or a behavior you are still holding onto?
- What would you like to stop doing from last year?
- What did you birth or create in 2017?
- What were the 3 best things that happened in 2017?
- What have you achieved or what are you most proud of?
- What have you learned?
- What have been your top 3 biggest realizations/lessons?
- How have you grown?
- Describe 2017 in 3 words?
- What are you most grateful for from this year?
It’s super important that when you are setting goals that they tick the following criteria…
- They must be heart-centered.
- They must inspire you and give you goosebumps.
- They must be true for you and not something you ‘think’ you ‘should’ do or achieve due to someone else’s agenda.
- You must use inspiring dialogue, ‘lose weight’ is not as inspiring as ‘wake up feeling healthy, strong and vital’. Same with ‘quit sugar’. Try something like, ‘treat my body like the temple it is and only nourish it with the highest vibrational food mother nature has to offer’.
- They must make your heart sing. If your goals don’t give you butterflies and excite the bejesus out of you then they aren’t right.
- They mustn’t overwhelm and stress you out. You must be crystal clear and super specific. ‘Find happiness’, or ‘find love’ and not specific enough. Try something like, ‘to remember that I am love and to feel that within myself daily’. Or ‘to wake up feeling inner happiness and peace daily’.
Ok, keeping the above in mind let’s set your 2018 goals:
- What are 5 words to best describe how you want to feel in 2018? For example: strong, connected, vital, balanced, calm, present, healthy, bursting with love, grounded, expansive, focused, glow-y, abundant etc.
- What are 1-3 health goals you would like to achieve?
- What are 1-3 career goals you would like to achieve?
- What are 1-3 financial goals you would like to achieve?
- What are 1-3 self-love goals you would like to achieve?
- What are 1-3 relationship goals you would like to achieve?
- Do you want to travel this year? If yes, where do you want to go? Be as specific as possible. For example, I would love to travel to the Greek islands in July 2018 for 3 weeks with my husband to experience all the magic that place has to offer.
- What are 2-3 hobbies that you would like to explore and make more time for next year?
- What will you commit to not doing in 2018?
- What will you make more time for?
- How do you want to do things differently next year?
- Create your 2018 Self Love Menu. What are 10 things you can add to your self-love menu to fill yourself up daily?
- What does your ideal morning routine look like? Be as specific as possible.
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What does your self-loving nighttime ritual look like?
- How can you give more to yourself next year? What would that look like specifically?
- What is one word you want to describe 2018?
Now close your eyes and think about 2018. See it, feel it, experience it like it’s already happened. Use your imagination and let it play out. See yourself achieving your goals and manifesting your heart’s desires. What does that feel like? Who is around you? Take 10 more minutes or so to really allow yourself to future-trip here. Smile as you see yourself kicking goals, being surrounded by loved ones, and achieving what it is you want. High five yourself in your mind, and when you have finished your visualization, move on to the next step…
CREATE YOUR 2018 AFFIRMATIONS
This is where you come up with 3 powerful statements that you will write out and stick around your house and office so that you can see them when times feel challenging and hard. For example…
Everything is unfolding exactly the way it’s supposed to.
This too shall pass.
I create my own reality; if I don’t like what I have created I can create again.
I am the one in the driver’s seat, I am responsible for my life and happiness.
I am responsible for creating my happiness and joy.
LETTER TO YOUR FUTURE SELF
Zoom ahead to December 31st 2018 and write a letter to yourself about all that has happened in 2018 and all that you have achieved.
You can take a read of the full blog post “Manifest Your Dreams And Create An Epic 2018” on Melissa Ambrosini’s website here.
I hope this post was helpful and inspiring for you and I can’t wait to share more with you in 2018!.